Auckland to remain under coronavirus restrictions for 12 more days

| 14.08,20. 08:27 PM |

Auckland to remain under coronavirus restrictions for 12 more days


PM Jacinda Ardern


New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern says Auckland will maintain its partial lockdown for another 12 days as officials try to contain the coronavirus outbreak in the city.

Ms Ardern told a press conference on Friday that maintaining the lockdown will help New Zealand to stamp out coronavirus once again.

She said there are signs New Zealand has caught the latest outbreak "relatively early in its life" and there was "nothing to suggest" that the city needed to move to level four restrictions.

According to Ms Ardern, all 29 cases of coronavirus in the country are linked to one cluster centred in Auckland, at this stage.

One other case is being investigated which is likely linked to the cluster.

Ms Ardern said more than 30,000 tests had been undertaken in the country over the past 48 hours, with 38 people linked to the cluster now in government-managed quarantine as a precautionary measure.

The coronavirus restrictions in Auckland will stay in place until 11.59pm on Wednesday, August 26.

"Our current expectation is that by this time, the perimeter of the cluster will be identified, will be isolated, and we can move to level two in Auckland with confidence," Ms Ardern said.

"Our intention is that Auckland and New Zealand will quickly move back down through alert levels if we continue on this track, but it is wise to take a bit of extra time, that bit of extra time is our best way of getting out quickly."

The New Zealand Government will review the restriction levels next Friday.

Ms Ardern put Auckland, home to about 1.7 million people, into lockdown for three days earlier this week.

She also reinstated social distancing measures across the country.

Virus had not been laying dormant in the community
Ms Ardern said the earliest sign of the re-emergence of the virus was a worker at store in Wellington who became sick about July 31, although it was not yet clear whether this case was the origin of the outbreak.

Ms Ardern said the sequence of the virus was not the same as the sequence from cases in the country's original coronavirus outbreak earlier this year.

She said this suggested the virus was not laying dormant in the community but the new batch "appears to be new to New Zealand".

"In terms of the ongoing investigation to identify where the virus originated from, there are still no clear connections at this point," Ms Ardern said.

"Contact tracing and genomic testing has not found a link to the border or managed isolation in quarantine facilities at this stage."

Deputy Prime Minister Winston Peters told the ABC on Thursday that he believed it came from a quarantine breach.

New Zealand recorded 13 new cases of coronavirus on Friday.

Two of the new cases are in the town of Tokoroa, in the centre of New Zealand's North Island.

abc


(Votes: 0)

Other News

Turkey slams UAE over recent deal with Israel Lebanon government resigns after deadly Beirut blast Lebanon government set to resign amid outrage over Beirut blast - minister Shots fired, 110 injured during Beirut protests as anger erupts over deadly blast On the sixth day, the strike by oil refinery workers and employees spreads to 11 provinces Beirut port blast: 'It's a disaster in every sense of the word', says minister, as dozens die India’s coronavirus cases top 1.8 million Blood in Tel Aviv on Netanyahu’s hands: Opp. leader Turkey reopens Sumela Monastery after restoration Fener Greek Patriarch thanks Turkey over Sumela Monastery Turkey urges end to provocations over burning of its flag in Greece Turkish intelligence conducts world-scale works, says president Civilian killed in Syria's Idlib by regime forces Lebanon: Israel violated air space 29 times in 48 hours Occupied Palestine: Protestors demand Netanyahu’s resignation Turkey: Hagia Sophia Mosque sees 1st prayers in 86 years Libya slams Egypt's parliament decision on intervention China slams ‘unprecedented’ US move on Houston consulate Turkey, Russia agree against military solution in Libya Jacinda Ardern sacks minister as sex scandals rock New Zealand's major parties Iran, Covid-19: Rouhani: 25 million people have been infected, and 35 million will be infected Libyan army dispatches military vehicles to Sirte 'Armenia targets Azerbaijan's strategic infrastructure' Libya: 225 bodies unearthed from mass graves in 40 days Azerbaijanis call for mobilization against Armenia Hagia Sophia to be open for all: Turkish president Special Tribunal for Lebanon (STL): Pronouncement of the Judgment in the Ayyash et al. case on 7 August 2020 Turkey: Court strikes down Hagia Sophia museum decree Families recall last moments with Srebrenica victims Iran, Covid-19: The average death toll in Iran is double that of the world...