Coronavirus: Police investigating two 19-year-olds accused of bringing COVID-19 back to Queensland after travelling to Melbourne

| 30.07,20. 07:08 AM |

Coronavirus: Police investigating two 19-year-olds accused of bringing COVID-19 back to Queensland after travelling to Melbourne

Images of two 19-year-olds accused of bringing coronavirus back to Queensland after a trip to Melbourne. (Supplied)

Police in protective medical gear have attended a Brisbane home and removed people into quarantine as they continue to investigate two teenage women accused of bringing coronavirus back to Queensland.

The two 19-year-olds who have tested positive have sparked the exact emergency Queensland feared when it reopened its border – they had been in Melbourne and flew home, skipping quarantine with allegedly false information on their border declarations.

On Tuesday night, police in protective equipment attended a home in Acacia Ridge, removing up to six people related to the women, 9News can reveal.
The family is now in quarantine under guard.

The actions of the two women led to hundreds of people queuing to be tested yesterday as authorities race to halt any potential outbreaks linked to the duo.
Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk said she was "furious".

"We had a hard border closure with Victoria and what is extremely
disappointing is these two people went to Victoria," Ms Palaszczuk said.

"That's what they did and now we have to act swiftly and quickly.

"We have been preparing for these scenarios. We have done this before and we will do it again.

"Because of the negligent actions of these two we now have to do a lot of contact tracing and it's going to be an inconvenience to a lot of people."

Deputy Police Commissioner Steve Gollschewski said there was an ongoing criminal investigation.

"Initial investigations indicate there were incorrect details on border declaration passes," Mr Gollschewski said.

"This highlights why you need to declare if you've been to Victoria where there's been a high instance of community transmission.

"You need to think about those around you – not just yourself."

The women did not self-isolate when they returned on July 21 to Queensland from Melbourne. The returned via Sydney on flights VA 863 and VA 977.

They travelled largely around the Springfield and Logan areas after they returned to Brisbane.

Queensland's third confirmed COVID-19 case yesterday was a 22-year-old woman who is a close contact to the two 19-year-old.


(Votes: 0)

Other News

Border restrictions a re-emerging flashpoint as COVID-19 cases rise Unexpected areas now declared banned hotspots Full list of suburbs no longer welcome in Queensland Nineteen new cases of coronavirus in NSW as gym restrictions tightened All of metropolitan Sydney declared a hotspot by Queensland government South Australia border closed to Victorians Queensland's Parklands Christian College closed after employee who travelled interstate tests positive for coronavirus Samurai sword used in robbery Sydney school closes after child's COVID-19 case, a new vision for 'Sydney's second CBD' released Six protesters arrested at Sydney Black Lives Matter march Doctors fear 'unacceptable risk' on Melbourne coronavirus ward without specialist N95 masks Aussie dollar hits fresh 15-month high on weakening greenback Wild NSW weather forces evacuations on South Coast, sinkhole opens up in Sydney's east Warning for residents in Sydney's east as another restaurant worker tests positive for coronavirus Major Sydney sports club confirms member's virus infection Elaborate virtual kidnappings sting Sydney students for millions Teenage boy charged with attempted rape of woman, 26, walking home in Cairns Sydney traveller busts through Gold Coast border, sparks police emergency Fourth Sydney restaurant shut over COVID-19 fears نيو ساوث ويلز: إعفاء مشتري المنزل الأول من رسوم التسجيل Southeast Queensland battered by heavy rains as wild weather heads south for Sydney Black Lives Matter protest in Sydney blocked after Supreme Court win for police Staff member at Thai Rock restaurant at Potts Point tests positive to coronavirus, prompting warning Newcastle hit by flooding which sees nine children rescued from a bus Four coronavirus cases linked to Catholic services in Sydney's south-west, Woolworths urges customers to wear masks in some Sydney stores Four killed in horror crash on Gold Coast hinterland Fairfield woman tests positive to COVID-19 after attending funeral, church services South Australia tightens border restrictions with Victoria amid coronavirus spike Couple charged after guns and drugs found at Queensland border check Four Sydney school children diagnosed with coronavirus, with cases linked to Thai restaurant outbreak