All of metropolitan Sydney declared a hotspot by Queensland government

| 29.07,20. 01:12 PM |

All of metropolitan Sydney declared a hotspot by Queensland government

Greater Sydney has been declared a hotspot by the Queensland Government effective from 1am Saturday, Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk has announced.

New South Wales Premier Gladys Berejiklian said she had no prior warning of the decision.

"There has been more outbreaks in other parts of Greater Sydney and that will now become a COVID declared hotspot taking effect from 1am on Saturday," Ms Palaszczuk said.

"We have done this to ensure we give notice to Queenslanders who may want to return home.

"We are in extraordinary times at the moment and we have to do everything we can.

"Queenslanders should not be travelling to Sydney."
Returning Queenslanders will be required to self-fund two weeks hotel quarantine when the new measures come into effect.

Ms Palaszczuk said Greater Sydney encompassed 24 local government areas – including the three already declared hotspots of Liverpool, Campbelltown and Fairfield.

"We are monitoring the situation in New South Wales every single day," Ms Palaszczuk said.

"We do not want a second wave here. We do not want widespread community transmission."

Overnight 19 new COVID-19 cases were recorded in New South Wales.

It comes as two new cases of COVID-19 were recorded in Queensland with two 19-year-old women testing positive after returning from interstate.

"They both travelled together recently, including returning to Brisbane from Melbourne on the 21 July via Sydney," Health Minister Steven Miles said.
"They travelled on flights VA 863 and VA 977".

A criminal investigation is underway into how the women returned to the state without entering mandatory quarantine.

NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian said she had no warning of the Queensland border restrictions.

"It would have been nice if she told me, but that's fine," Ms Berejiklian said.
"I note that the cases they have had up there announced today are all from Victoria.

"In the end it hurts the smaller states when they don't interact with New South Wales."

Next 24-48 hours 'crucial'
Ms Palaszczuk said she was "furious" the two teenagers allegedly gave authorities "misleading information".

"We had a hard border closure with Victoria and what is extremely disappointing is these two people went to Victoria," she said.

"That's what they did and now we have to act swiftly and quickly.

"We have been preparing for these scenarios. We have done this before and we will do it again."

"Because of the negligent actions of these two we now have to do a lot of contact tracing and it's going to be an inconvenience to a lot of people.

"The next 24 to 48 hours is very crucial here in Queensland. We need to be making sure that any of those people who may have come into contact with the two confirmed cases need to go into quarantine and also need to be tested."

Chief Health Officer Jeannette Young said the women had not been isolating and had been travelling within Logan and Brisbane's southside communities for eight days while infectious.

The two women live in separate homes in Logan and Acacia Ridge, one of them is a cleaner at a local private school.

Aged care homes in the Metro South health district have been advised to go into lockdown, as a precautionary measure.

Extensive contact tracing is underway with health authorities saying the women may have visited shopping centres and churches in the local area.


(Votes: 0)

Other News

South Australia border closed to Victorians Queensland's Parklands Christian College closed after employee who travelled interstate tests positive for coronavirus Samurai sword used in robbery Sydney school closes after child's COVID-19 case, a new vision for 'Sydney's second CBD' released Six protesters arrested at Sydney Black Lives Matter march Doctors fear 'unacceptable risk' on Melbourne coronavirus ward without specialist N95 masks Aussie dollar hits fresh 15-month high on weakening greenback Wild NSW weather forces evacuations on South Coast, sinkhole opens up in Sydney's east Warning for residents in Sydney's east as another restaurant worker tests positive for coronavirus Major Sydney sports club confirms member's virus infection Elaborate virtual kidnappings sting Sydney students for millions Teenage boy charged with attempted rape of woman, 26, walking home in Cairns Sydney traveller busts through Gold Coast border, sparks police emergency Fourth Sydney restaurant shut over COVID-19 fears نيو ساوث ويلز: إعفاء مشتري المنزل الأول من رسوم التسجيل Southeast Queensland battered by heavy rains as wild weather heads south for Sydney Black Lives Matter protest in Sydney blocked after Supreme Court win for police Staff member at Thai Rock restaurant at Potts Point tests positive to coronavirus, prompting warning Newcastle hit by flooding which sees nine children rescued from a bus Four coronavirus cases linked to Catholic services in Sydney's south-west, Woolworths urges customers to wear masks in some Sydney stores Four killed in horror crash on Gold Coast hinterland Fairfield woman tests positive to COVID-19 after attending funeral, church services South Australia tightens border restrictions with Victoria amid coronavirus spike Couple charged after guns and drugs found at Queensland border check Four Sydney school children diagnosed with coronavirus, with cases linked to Thai restaurant outbreak Coronavirus restrictions change in NSW today NSW Health confirms seven coronavirus cases after record number of tests Army to doorknock in Melbourne to help with contact tracing Warning issued after coronavirus case at NSW Costco Sunday shoppers told to stay alert for symptoms