| 29.07,20. 01:12 PM |
All of metropolitan Sydney declared a hotspot by Queensland government
Greater Sydney has been declared a hotspot by the Queensland Government effective from 1am Saturday, Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk has announced.
New South Wales Premier Gladys Berejiklian said she had no prior warning of the decision.
"There has been more outbreaks in other parts of Greater Sydney and that will now become a COVID declared hotspot taking effect from 1am on Saturday," Ms Palaszczuk said.
"We have done this to ensure we give notice to Queenslanders who may want to return home.
"We are in extraordinary times at the moment and we have to do everything we can.
"Queenslanders should not be travelling to Sydney."
Returning Queenslanders will be required to self-fund two weeks hotel quarantine when the new measures come into effect.
Ms Palaszczuk said Greater Sydney encompassed 24 local government areas – including the three already declared hotspots of Liverpool, Campbelltown and Fairfield.
"We are monitoring the situation in New South Wales every single day," Ms Palaszczuk said.
"We do not want a second wave here. We do not want widespread community transmission."
Overnight 19 new COVID-19 cases were recorded in New South Wales.
It comes as two new cases of COVID-19 were recorded in Queensland with two 19-year-old women testing positive after returning from interstate.
"They both travelled together recently, including returning to Brisbane from Melbourne on the 21 July via Sydney," Health Minister Steven Miles said.
"They travelled on flights VA 863 and VA 977".
A criminal investigation is underway into how the women returned to the state without entering mandatory quarantine.
NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian said she had no warning of the Queensland border restrictions.
"It would have been nice if she told me, but that's fine," Ms Berejiklian said.
"I note that the cases they have had up there announced today are all from Victoria.
"In the end it hurts the smaller states when they don't interact with New South Wales."
Next 24-48 hours 'crucial'
Ms Palaszczuk said she was "furious" the two teenagers allegedly gave authorities "misleading information".
"We had a hard border closure with Victoria and what is extremely disappointing is these two people went to Victoria," she said.
"That's what they did and now we have to act swiftly and quickly.
"We have been preparing for these scenarios. We have done this before and we will do it again."
"Because of the negligent actions of these two we now have to do a lot of contact tracing and it's going to be an inconvenience to a lot of people.
"The next 24 to 48 hours is very crucial here in Queensland. We need to be making sure that any of those people who may have come into contact with the two confirmed cases need to go into quarantine and also need to be tested."
Chief Health Officer Jeannette Young said the women had not been isolating and had been travelling within Logan and Brisbane's southside communities for eight days while infectious.
The two women live in separate homes in Logan and Acacia Ridge, one of them is a cleaner at a local private school.
Aged care homes in the Metro South health district have been advised to go into lockdown, as a precautionary measure.
Extensive contact tracing is underway with health authorities saying the women may have visited shopping centres and churches in the local area.