| 05.06,20. 08:29 AM |
The hidden fire hazards of working at home
People have been warned to monitor their charging devices while at home in case of fire. (9News)
Electronic device users are being warned about the dangers of charging their devices incorrectly.
South Australia's Metropolitan Fire Service's Commander Phil Crossley told 9News that with more people working from home, devices are being charged more often and that increases the risk of fire.
Commander Crossley said that the fire service attended about 250 house fires each year and that some of them were sparked from electrical devices being charged incorrectly.
He also said that counterfeit and second-hand charging units should not be used, without having them tested first.
"Pay a little bit more for the original manufactured item, it has built in safety systems to make sure that when they're charging there's no risk of overheating of the appliance," he said.
"Mobile phones, computers and tablets are designed to be charged on a hard, flat, inflammable surface that allows for airflow.
"Young people tend to charge their phones on or near the bed, on soft furnishings, even under the pillow ... they can overheat, potentially igniting some of the bedclothes and have a potentially fatal situation."
He has also warned about overloading powerboards and said people should ensure that cordsweare not frayed or damaged in any way.
"We would really recommend people to use powerboards that have got cut out devices on them and certainly not using double adaptors onto a powerboard to reduce the changes of an electrical fire," he said.
Commander Crossley said we take our mobile phones for granted, and when charging them, we assume they'll be ok.
He suggested that we might all need to learn some new habits.
"You really need to be aware. Try and be around the place if it's going to be on charge. Don't leave the room, certainly don't put it on charge before you go to bed," he said.