Three men killed after car hits tree and catches fire in 'tragic and horrific' accident north-west of Brisbane

| 22.05,20. 12:15 PM |

Three men killed after car hits tree and catches fire in 'tragic and horrific' accident north-west of Brisbane


Three men have died after a car hit a tree and caught on fire in Queensland's Western Downs region.
About 5.50pm yesterday a car with five people was travelling in Crossroads, south of Chinchilla, when it crashed into a tree and caught alight.
Two men, aged 35 and 36, from Tara, and a 40-year-old Dalby man died at the scene, police said.
The female driver, 42, sustained serious injuries to her abdomen and chest and was taken to Chinchilla Hospital before being transported to the Princess Alexandra Hospital in Brisbane.
A 49-year-old male passenger, from Tara, sustained minor injuries to his shoulder, abdomen and chest and was taken to Chinchilla Hospital before being transported to Toowoomba Base Hospital.
Acting Superintendent Garrath Channells described the accident as "tragic" and said first responders were confronted by difficult scenes.
"Unfortunately that single vehicle motor accident caused the loss of three lives which is extremely tragic," he said.
"It would appear that the vehicle has overtaken another car at speed, they've travelled a short way further down the road.
"They've lost control and sadly run off the road and collided with a tree.
"The vehicle has caught fire some time after that collision.
"The three occupants in the rear seat of the motor vehicle sadly died as a result.
"The male passenger on the front seat was able to get out and remove the driver from the car."
Queensland Ambulance Service's Bryce Williams, Acting Officer in Charge, said it was too soon to tell what kind of impact the passenger's interventions had in saving the woman's life.
"The initial Chinchilla crew that arrived were confronted with quite a horrific scene," Mr Williams said.
Supt Channells said initial investigations appeared to suggest weather conditions may have played a role in the accident.
"We'd had rain pretty much all day. The roads were still damp and wet so road conditions may have played a part," Supt Channells said.
Investigations by the Queensland Police Forensic Crash Unit are continuing.
Police said they were yet to speak to the driver of the vehicle, who is still in a critical condition in hospital.


(Votes: 0)

Other News

NSW coronavirus death toll climbs, bringing Australia's total to 101, as Government urges more testing Queensland-New South Wales border closure brings business blues NSW Police release driver of SUV which crashed into Greenacre shop Hijab House without charge Target shuts up to 75 stores and converts others to Kmart, putting up to 1,300 jobs at risk Man charged with murder over fatal stabbing of his wife Alleged carjackers in citizen's arrest after Gold Coast tram crash Fake British tradie who ripped off Sydney residents jailed 8 years Twelve injured after car crashes into Hijab House shop in Australian casual workers to receive massive payday after landmark court ruling NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian says opening borders would benefit all Australians Federal Government releases emissions technology investment roadmap, backing gas and a shift towards renewables Man arrested after baby's death in NSW Hunter region; crime scene set up at house Geelong residents face major storm clean up after 150km/h winds damage 100 homes Backyard beekeeping is on the rise as bee populations come under threat Gold Coast police hunting man in skeleton mask after car explosion on suburban street Prestigious Sydney boarding school closes immediately after student tests positive to COVID-19 Driver with 74 demerit points in 18 months caught speeding on suspended license NSW coronavirus travel restrictions scrapped, Premier Gladys Berejiklian tells people to book holidays Prison guard charged with stealing inmate's $2 biscuits Vaccine testing to begin in Australian cities over coming days on volunteer Everything you need to know about NSW's schools return Hazelwood Power Station operator fined more than $1.5 million over 2014 Latrobe Valley mine fire China imposes 80 per cent barley tariffs on Australia States under pressure to reopen borders closed in a bid to contain coronavirus NSW public school students to return to classrooms full time after coronavirus shutdown Melbourne aged care centre in lockdown After a resident returned an inconclusive COVID-19 test Twin toddlers die in house fire at Batlow in regional NSW Rescue operation underway to save rock climber who fell off cliff in Blue Mountains Queensland border closure could remain in place until September, Premier warns Body found after yacht runs aground at Mooloolaba, man missing after falling overboard from second vessel