Two charged with manslaughter after death of toddler in Cairns minibus

| 25.02,20. 09:21 AM |

Two charged with manslaughter after death of toddler in Cairns minibus

Photo: The toddler was left unattended in a minibus for several hours before he was found. (ABC News: Marian Faa)

A man and woman have been charged with manslaughter after the death of a three-year-old boy inside a childcare centre minibus in Cairns last week.
Police will allege the boy was collected from a home in Mount Sheridan to attend a Goodstart Early Learning centre last Tuesday morning.
It is further alleged the boy was left inside the minibus unattended for several hours before being found dead at Edmonton after 3:00pm.
The alleged driver of the bus — a 45-year-old Bentley Park man — and a 34-year-old employee from Manunda, who was also on the bus, have been charged with one count each of manslaughter.
They are due to face Cairns Magistrates Court on Tuesday.
In a statement, Goodstart Early Learning said it had stood aside two educators from its Edmonton centre after the charges.
"Both educators were offered counselling and appropriate support after the tragic incident," the statement said.
"We can confirm that we have a senior manager from Goodstart in Cairns who is working closely with the Queensland Police Family Liaison Officer to ensure we do all that we can to support the family of the little boy during this tragic time.
"In addition, we continue to provide counsellors for Goodstart staff and families and we have a team of highly trained trauma specialists in Cairns, working to help parents of children who may have been affected by the events of last Tuesday.
"The teams will be in place for as long as the community requires their support."
Goodstart Edmonton remains closed and the bus services operated to transport children to and from its early learning centres remain suspended.
All children who normally attend Goodstart Edmonton have been offered alternative placements in nearby centres.
Last week, Goodstart suspended its national minibus service after the death, to review its processes and procedures.


(Votes: 0)

Other News

Couple buying ice cream caught up in gunpoint Sydney service station robbery Toddler rescued after falling underneath train at Wolli Creek Station زيادة كبيرة في عدد النقاط المطلوبة للحصول على تأشيرة العمال المهرة Building collapses on construction site in Hurlstone Park Sydney school students injured as platform collapses during photo session Tropical cyclone Esther to hit Northern Territory-Queensland border Man dies after stabbing at Sydney home, police launch investigation Teens strip-searched at Good Life, Lost City underage festival, despite past criticism Man charged with murder of 11-month-old baby in Brisbane 7yo boy in critical condition after being thrown onto shore from inflatable tube Person rescued from roof of car in floodwaters in North Queensland amid heavy rain Toddler dies in car fire in remote Kimberley town of Kununurra Girl, 2, found dead inside burning car in remote WA town Police appeal for help to find Sydney teenager Mariam Wehbi, 13 Cyclone Esther expected to form in Gulf overnight near NT-Queensland border Police shoot man dead in Brisbane CBD after tourist stabbed Chinese high school students can return to Australia under strict travel ban exemptions Police say woman killed in Townsville in north Queensland was a case of domestic violence Man killed in Sydney hit-run was on his way to help mum The worrying new trend affecting millions of Centrelink users Toddler fighting for life after being hit by car in Strathfield carpark NSW Police use Woollahra Golf Course to explode WWII ordnance found at North Bondi unit block Police trying to identify elderly man killed by car in south west Sydney Australian dollar slumps to 11-year low on weak jobs data; ASX slips AFIC: Terrorist Attacks on worshipers across Mosques in Germany Sydney Uber driver found guilty of raping NSW teenager after she fell asleep in back seat Two dead after train derails north of Melbourne Police officer charged with murder over Geraldton woman's shooting death Man dies after being trapped in shipping container at Campbellfield, Melbourne Sydney teen was victim of a 'cold-blooded killing', police say