Celeste Barber's $52 million bushfire fund hits legal barrier Not one cent has been donated to bushfire victims

| 16.02,20. 12:59 PM |

Celeste Barber's $52 million bushfire fund hits legal barrier
Not one cent has been donated to bushfire victims

9news


Lawyers for Celeste Barber and the NSW Rural Fire Service are expected to meet in a bid to unlock $52 million raised by the comedian's bushfire appeal.
None of the money has been spent due to RFS rules that state donations must be spent on firefighting equipment and training, not on families or charities, the Sunday Telegraph reports.
Barber's online appeal last month attracted more than one million donations from around the world as catastrophic bushfires devastated parts of NSW and the country.
RFS spokesman Ben Shepherd said the service wanted to distribute the money in line with Barber's wishes and both sides' lawyers would try to find a way.
"No one is being bad about this, it's all very amicable, and we will try and see her wishes through," he told the newspaper.
"But, as it stands, the RFS is the beneficiary and we can't donate money people gave us to other charities."
The setback comes as Barber prepares to host the huge Fire Fight Australia bushfire relief concert in Sydney on Sunday.
Profits from the event will go to the Red Cross' disaster relief and recovery fund, rural and regional fire services and the RSPCA's bushfire appeal.

AAP/9news


(Votes: 0)

Other News

Sydney teen shot dead in 'targeted' attack Hole in Queensland dam sparks evacuations at Talgai Man dead and woman injured after being knocked off rocks at Sydney's Bondi Beach Mosquito virus threat increased by intense wet weather Police on manhunt after woman assaulted in Sydney south west More milk products recalled amid E. coli fears Teen in stable condition after shooting in Melbourne Fears for woman missing after fire tears through Brisbane home Thousands still without power with more rain on the way Regions soaked and residents left without power amid wild Victorian storms Toowoomba school, shops locked down amid search for potentially armed man Coronavirus travel ban extended to 'keep Australians safe', Peter Dutton insists amid Chinese 'dissatisfaction' Sydney man admits murdering housemate in Campsie unit Kathmandu founder facing criminal charges over Bellamy's shareholding George Pell High Court appeal hearing date set for March The rain has brought relief. But now there's another problem ATO warning over natural disaster relief tax return scam Sydney dam overflows as levels surge after days of torrential rain in water catchments Man shot in Sydney's south-west Dairy Farmers recalls 1L and 3L full cream milk over E. coli contamination Teens arrested after man's body found in bushland on NSW south coast Boy sucked down Gold Coast drain recovering in hospital Search for woman feared swept away in floodwaters amid deluge Tropical Cyclone Uesi set to hit Lord Howe Island, bringing 120kph gale-force winds and large swells Sunshine Coast flooding sees nursing home, unit block evacuated in the middle of the night Garbage truck driver charged with manslaughter after pedestrian killed in Sydney's CBD الإعصار الاستوائي Uesi يتجه إلى سواحل كوينزلاند ونيو ساوث ويلز Teenager hit by car while riding bike was not wearing a helmet, police say On-parole rapist jailed for 'degrading' sex abuse of seven-year-old girl Man to face court after alleged domestic assault of pregnant partner