| 02.04,19. 06:32 PM |
Alleged Christchurch massacre supporter has internet ban upheld, calls media 'animals'
Photo: Chad Vinzelberg failed in his bid to have his internet ban overturned. (ABC News)
An Adelaide man charged after allegedly posting comments online in support of the Christchurch terrorist attack has lost his bid to be allowed to use the internet again.
Chad Rolf Vinzelberg, 37, was charged with possessing a firearm without a licence and four counts of possessing prohibited weapons after police searched his northern suburbs home last month.
The search was prompted by a series of comments Mr Vinzelberg had allegedly posted on social media supporting the Christchurch massacre and praising the terrorist responsible.
The Adelaide Magistrates Court heard his online profile photo showed him holding a gun and during the search police found a loaded firearm underneath his mattress as well as an extendable baton and two flick knives.
A medieval mace and a crossbow were allegedly found in his shed.
Mr Vinzelberg was granted bail during his first court hearing on the condition that he would not use the internet.
On Tuesday, he represented himself from the dock and called on the court to change that condition.
He said he ran his own "handyman business" but also claimed to have lost his job.
"I do need the internet to find a job as the media have blown this up, they have made a mountain out of a pile and I have lost my job over that," Mr Vinzelberg said.
"I'm the sole income earner of the family, I've got a wife and three kids and a mortgage."
Magistrate Brett Dixon refused to grant the request.
Outside court today Mr Vinzelberg referred to members of the media as "animals".
"You animals made me lose my job because you blow this up," he said.
"I want a job … can I put my resume in at your office?"
During a previous court hearing, police said Mr Vinzelberg posed a genuine concern for the safety of the community and that authorities were conducting further investigations into other devices found at his home.
His lawyer on that occasion told the court the items were ornamental and were on display in his client's "man cave".
Mr Vinzelberg was not charged in relation to the alleged online material.
This morning, SA Police Assistant Commissioner Noel Bamford said officers were continuing to monitor groups and individuals with extremist views.
His comments were not made in the context of the ongoing court case, but he said police had "certainly paid more attention to mosques".
"There are both far left and far right groups in South Australia," Mr Bamford told ABC Radio Adelaide.
"We're not talking an armed force of people.
"There are people we've come across who've had firearms and we've taken action against them for that."