Fadi Ibrahim out of his coma and speaking about that night

| 18.06,09. 03:13 AM |

Fadi Ibrahim out of his coma and speaking about that night

June 18, 2009 12:00am

THE brother of Kings Cross identity John Ibrahim has woken from his induced coma and has spoken to police about the night a gunman tried to kill him.

Detectives from Strike Force Proudfoot visited Fadi Ibrahim in the intensive care ward of Royal North Shore Hospital yesterday, with doctors allowing them to speak with Ibrahim briefly.

It coincided with his nightclub entrepreneur brother John again visiting the hospital with his usual entourage, as well as an unidentified man who appeared to be aged in his 50s or 60s.

Police confirmed they spoke to Fadi Ibrahim and planned to do a formal interview at a later stage, when his health improved.

"He's still fairly weak (but) he's given us some details of the version of events of the night," Middle Eastern Organised Crime Squad commander Detective Superintendent Debbie Wallace said yesterday.

She would not reveal if he had identified his attacker.

It is a heartening sign for detectives who have been dealing with theories about who is responsible for the June 5 shooting.

A gunman fired at least five shots into Ibrahim and shot his girlfriend Shayda Bastani in the leg as they sat in Ibrahim's Lamborghini outside his Castle Cove home earlier this month.

"We have some significant lines of inquiry but we've got to keep an open mind," Supt Wallace said.

The Daily Telegraph understands at least three theories are being seriously considered.

It is believed one is that someone tried to kill Ibrahim over a $1.4 million debt to try to erase the financial liability.

Fadi has been described by some as a loan shark who lent people money at high interest.

However, another theory touted is that Fadi's shooting was related to his brother Michael's court case.

Michael was convicted of the manslaughter of Robin Nassour at Chiswick in Sydney's inner west.

The female lawyer who represented Michael, who is serving 6½ years in jail, was reportedly the target of a frightening home invasion by armed men in March but was not injured.

There is no suggestion of the lawyer being involved in any wrongdoing.

A Royal North Shore Hospital spokeswoman said Ibrahim had improved yesterday, with doctors upgrading his condition from critical to serious but stable.

But it was impossible to predict how much longer he would stay in hospital, she said.

 The Daily Telegraph

(Votes: 0)

Other News

Sydney water catchment laced with toxins Killer bouncer tops list of Australian fugitives تجريد ملكة جمال أستراليا من لقبها   McDonald's siege ends peacefully Search for missing man finds body Extended trading hour Bill goes to Parliament Engine malfunction grounded Airbus A330 Frankston man 'holding police at bay Shots fired in Macca's siege حادثتا اعتداء على سبعة طلاب سعوديين في أستراليا خلال أسبوع واحد Islamic school divides western Sydney suburb نجاة طفلين من تمساح التهم كلبهما في أحد شواطئ استراليا مصر تمنع وفدًا استراليًا إسلاميًا رفيع المستوى من الوصول إلى رفح Sacked minister Tony Stewart wins first legal victory Gunman on loose after fatal shooting Airport lane change forces motorists into carpark Miss Universe Australia Rachael Finch could lose her crown أستراليا ستتقدم بعرض لاستضافة كأس العالم Men of colours stand united in face of bikie bill Robbed of $50, then bashed for the hell of it Pig flu shuts down elite school Muslims get interest-free loans Elijah Holcombe police shooting witness bombshell Boy in hospital after Springvale stabbing Fire on Jetstar flight sparks invective over air-safetyMatt O'Sullivan Rudd's men seize control of preselectionsPhillip Coorey Chief Political Correspondent Damir Dokic jailed for threatening to kill Australian ambassador Sydney leads cocaine binge How Charlotte Lindstrom's champagne lifestyle crashed Court hears of illegal immigrant's Bridge suicide bid