Keyword: From Date: To Date:

 truck crashed through his bedroom wall

| 09.01,12. 03:01 AM |

 truck crashed through his bedroom wall


 January 09, 2012

UNLIKE most 11-year-olds, Max MacGregor was looking forward to the end of the school holidays.
In what would have been his first year at high school, Max had been excitedly counting down the days to a fresh beginning.

But the schoolboy's dreams were ended in the most horrifying circumstances early yesterday when a truck crashed through his bedroom wall and killed him as he slept.

The B-Double collided head-on with a ute before careering into the MacGregor family's holiday home, situated on the Pacific Highway in the sleepy mid-north coast town of Urunga.

The truck smashed through two bedrooms in the house before coming to rest in a granny flat at the rear of a neighbouring property.

The driver of the ute was also killed instantly.

The 40-year-old truck driver and a 31-year-old passenger were admitted to Coffs Harbour Base Hospital. Police interviewed the driver and are still investigating how the crash occurred.

Max's shattered family was able to take some solace following the lucky escape of his 14-year-old brother who was sharing the bedroom with Max and survived the crash.

He somehow managed to flee the burning wreckage and escape with minor leg injuries. The boys' parents Peter and Angela were asleep in a neighbouring room and also suffered minor injuries.

Yesterday, they were comforted by relatives as they sifted through debris in search of treasured items.

The family had travelled from Penrith and were mid-way through a summer holiday at the property.

Lockie Compton-Bell, 18, was asleep in a corner bedroom of the house and said he "woke up and was next to a truck".

"I heard Dad calling my name and I ran in to the kitchen and we got out," he said.

His friend Kyle Anthforth, also 18, also managed to escape the truck's destructive path.

Lockie's 40-year-old father Chris Eastwood and 27-year-old girlfriend Rachel were asleep in a second bedroom. They both escaped with minor injuries.

Family friend Allan Phillips, 49, yesterday recalled the destruction he saw when he arrived at the house.

"What I saw in front of me was absolute carnage," Mr Phillips said."My heart goes out to the family."


(Votes: 0)