| 30.11,11. 09:53 AM |
Police hunt for two men involved in string of armed robberies on taxis
November 30, 2011
POLICE are hunting two men involved in a string of violent armed robberies on taxi drivers across Melbourne's northwestern suburbs.
Detectives believe the offenders request a taxi to attend a random residential address on the pretext of being driven to Tullamarine Airport.
The pick-up areas chosen are usually residential courts or dead-end streets with access to a park.
Upon the arrival of a taxi, the offenders approach from behind and threaten the driver with a firearm or possibly a knife before taking mobile phones and cash.
Police believe the offenders are linked to 10 armed and attempted robberies since July 2011.
They would like to hear from anyone who may have seen suspicious behaviour or activity on:
- 20 July , Hamel St, Albion;
- 22 July, Derrimutt Street, Albion;
- 10 August, Hayden Crescent, Albion;
- 11 August, Gail Court, Albion;
- 28 August, Churchill Avenue, Tullamarine;
- 31 August, Baxter Close, Gladstone Park;
- 2 September, Clarks Road, East Keilor;
- 13 September, Thea Court, Keilor Park;
- 17 September, Michelin Street, Tullamarine;
- 21 September, Epson Street South, Altona Meadows.
In each incident, both offenders wore dark clothing and balaclavas and removed the taxi ignition keys before fleeing the scene in an unknown vehicle.
Anyone with information can contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or visit www.crimestoppers.com.au