Labor pledges inquiry into controversial water buyback deals after document request not met

| 24.04,19. 05:04 AM |



Labor pledges inquiry into controversial water buyback deals after document request not met




Photo: Shadow Water Minister Tony Burke denied the water buyback probe is politically motivated. (ABC News: Nicholas Haggerty)


Labor has said it will push ahead with plans to set up an inquiry into the contentious taxpayer-funded water buybacks, after a request for documents was not met on Tuesday.


Shadow Water Minister Tony Burke said the Agriculture Department's failure to provide details by close of business showed coercive powers are required to investigate the deal.


In 2017, the Government spent $80 million to acquire the water rights to two properties in Queensland.


The money was paid to Eastern Australia Agriculture (EAA), which is controlled by a company based in the Cayman Islands — a well-known tax haven.


Barnaby Joyce, who was the water minister at the time and who signed off on the deal, maintains he did nothing wrong.


Labor has pledged to launch a judicial inquiry into the controversial water buyback deals if it wins government.


Mr Burke denied the investigation is politically motivated, despite suggesting it won't extend to Labor's time in office.


"On this particular issue, the questions that are being asked on this — and [that] the Government is refusing to shed a light on — have not been questions asked of any other minister," he said.


Mr Burke was the minister for the environment and water from 2010 to 2013.


Calls for review of all buybacks since 2008


Agriculture Minister David Littleproud has written to the Auditor-General calling for a review of all water buybacks under the Murray Darling Basin Plan since 2008.


The review would look at all deals struck under Labor and Coalition governments during that time.


Mr Burke said Labor welcomes that review but it would not have the power to compel witnesses to testify.


It is still not known who the investors within the Cayman Islands company are, or who ultimately benefitted from the 2017 buybacks.


"You set up companies in the Cayman Islands — one of the reasons is for the secrecy that's attached to it and that means only an inquiry with coercive powers can get to the bottom of who was actually involved," Mr Burke said.


Mr Joyce said the Opposition also made purchases from EAA and demands the same questions be put to them.


"The trouble with the Labor Party is they were first. So whatever they did, they did first. And we were following their precedent because they sold it to them," he said.


Under the former Labor government and in the early years of the Abbott prime ministership, all buybacks were under open tender.


Owners would register the price they would be prepared to sell for and the department would decide which offer provided best value for money.


However, there were concerns from some communities that this led to job losses and in 2015 Mr Joyce changed that process.


Since then, the Government has only bought water from willing sellers through direct negotiation with entitlement holders.


abc


(Votes: 0)

Write Your Comment
Comment

Other News

Woman given 28 demerit points in single NSW police stop during Easter long weekend Police are appealing for public assistance to help locate a teenager missing on the Central Coast AirAsia passenger tells how baby died in her arms on flight from Kuala Lumpur to Perth Two Australians among hundreds killed in Sri Lanka bombings, Prime Minister Scott Morrison confirms Bodies of man and his daughter recovered after drowning at Cape Carnot near Port Lincoln ANIC:strongly condemns the recent terrorist attack in Sri Lanka Warnbro pedestrian killed, second man injured in hit-and-run crash in Perth's south Woman's body found in garage in Sydney's south-west, as children slept inside Message ofBishop Antoine-Charbel Tarabay on the occasion of Easter 2019 .. And He Rose on the Third Day Melbourne's Love Machine nightclub shooting victim Richard Arow dies in hospital Police officer stabbed in the back at Sydney's Central Station Woman fighting for life after Gold Coast crash 'wasn't wearing seatbelt' Police appeal for road safety over Easter long weekend Man wanted for questioning over Melbourne sex attacks Scotland Island man charged with online exploitation of nine-year-old girl Truck drivers killed in fiery head-on crash on Augusta Highway Sydney train delays expected after police operation at Redfern station Bill Shorten 'misheard' superannuation question on election campaign trail, Labor forced to clarify policy Childers man who snatched sleeping child from her home jailed for four years Ballarat bushfire prompts emergency warning at Mount Clear and Sebastopol Brisbane doctor's killer still on the run Stoush over Labor cancer plan funding Qld Health warns about measles danger Homeowner says he told police of threats before his house was destroyed by fire US man charged with murder of Thai national jailed until next court date 'It's been a long process': Almost 170 Opal Tower apartments still empty, repairs only just beginning A $100,000 reward for information about the 1998 handgun murder of a Sydney man تراجع شعبية حزب باولين هانسن والعمال في الصدارة Boys aged 7 and 9 die in quad bike accidents in rural WA and Tasmania Police close in on trio who abducted and raped Melbourne teenager 30 years ago