| 11.01,19. 05:48 PM |
Human rights group urges for int'l probe into Khashoggi
The slain Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi case should become a subject of an international probe, an Amnesty International Turkey official said on Thursday.
“The murder of Khashoggi, which happened before the eyes of the whole world, should also be the subject of an international investigation,” Goksu Ozahishali, the organization’s campaign manager in Turkey, told reporters in front of the Saudi Arabia’s Consulate General in Istanbul, on the 100th day of the killing.
Khashoggi was killed and dismembered by a group of Saudi operatives shortly after he entered the country's consulate in Istanbul on Oct. 2, last year.
Riyadh offered various, conflicting narratives to explain his disappearance before acknowledging he was murdered in the diplomatic building, seeking to blame his death on a botched rendition operation being carried out by rogue agents.
Ozahishali and Amnesty International activists said they demand justice for Khashoggi, who raised his voice for freedom of speech in the Arab world.
“Turkish authorities, who initiated an investigation into the aftermath of Khashoggi case, found out that he was strangled and then dismembered. Body of the violently murdered Khashoggi is yet to be found,” she said.
On the 100th day since his death, the street where Khashoggi was last seen is named after him, said Ozhahishali.
“With this symbolic activity, we are reiterating our demand of justice for Khashoggi.”
Stating that they were glad for the efforts of the Turkish authorities, Ozahishali added: “As Amnesty International, we once again urge for the start of an independent UN investigation into the Khashoggi murder and torture, and other crimes, and violations committed during the murder.”
She said that the killing of Khashoggi turned the eyes of the whole world towards the Kingdom and Saudi Crown Prince Mohammad bin Salman.
Ozahishali said that they see the probe initiated by the Saudi authorities just for show, and added: “Murder of Jamal Khashoggi has turned the eyes of the whole world towards Saudi Arabia and Prince Salman.
“We don’t believe that the Saudi authorities, who initiated a show investigation into the murder, will conduct a fair and reliable process.”
Erol Onderoglu, Turkey representative of the Reporters Without Borders also supported the press statement.
Aftermath of Khashoggi killing
The Turkish capital has used every means available to bring those responsible to justice, maintaining international pressure. Saudi Arabia, on the other hand, made contradictory statements on the killing. It later announced that Khashoggi was killed "in a brawl" that occurred in the Consulate General.
Saudi Arabia announced the kill order was taken by the head of the negotiation team, without revealing a name. Moreover, Saudi’s Public Prosecution has demanded the death sentence for five defendants in a trial of 11.
Despite the 100 days since the murder took place, Riyadh maintains an apprehensive attitude to revealing news information regarding the murder.
Turkey has repeatedly said that it would demand a probe into the incident from the UN.