My Health Record: Greg Hunt bows to pressure and extends opt-out deadline as website hits issues

| 14.11,18. 04:51 PM |


My Health Record: Greg Hunt bows to pressure and extends opt-out deadline as website hits issues


Photo: The My Health Record system aims to improve access to medical information. (Pixabay)


Federal Health Minister Greg Hunt has extended the deadline for opting out of the Government's contentious My Health Record system.


He confirmed the delay on Twitter within hours of the opt-out website suffering issues and the Senate agreeing to an extension.


"The opt-out period will be extended until January 31, 2019, however, it's important to note that people can opt-out at any time," he said.


The opt-out website suffered issues on Wednesday morning as Australians tried to remove themselves from the scheme ahead of the previous deadline, which was set to expire at 3:00am (AEDT) on Friday.


The Senate is currently debating the legislation, but already agreed to extend the opt-out deadline to the end of January.


The amendment needed to return to the House of Representatives to be formally adopted into law, but Mr Hunt intervened to extend the cut-off.


Every Australian with a Medicare card will automatically be given a digital record containing their medical history unless they opt out before the deadline.


The site appeared to be unavailable to some users on Wednesday morning. It became available again at approximately 12.30pm.


There have also been complaints about difficulties opting out via telephone.


But the agency responsible for My Health insisted the website and telephone helpline were both "operational".


"We are experiencing high demand, which has slowed the system down, and some people have experienced difficulties opting out this morning," an Australian Digital Health Agency spokesperson said in a statement.


"These issues have now been resolved.


"The agency anticipated higher call volumes and has increased the number of helpline operators available to support callers."


'Let's get this right'


The Government had repeatedly refused to extend the opt-out period, until Mr Hunt took to Twitter on Wednesday afternoon.


"The Government's focus is on strengthening the safety and privacy of health information in the My Health Record system," he said.


"The Parliament is now considering further amendments to Labor's original My Health Record legislation."


Labor's health spokeswoman Catherine King still has concerns about data security and privacy and wants the Government to extend the opt-out deadline for 12 months.


"Let's get this right, we think this is an important reform, it was a reform started by Labor but we think you need to take the time to get this right," she said.


"We have been forced into the position today in the Senate of trying to extend the opt-out period again because the Government is just not listening."


More than 1.1 million Australians had elected to opt out as at the end of last month.


abc


(Votes: 0)

Other News

Paul Keating says raising superannuation to 12 per cent will 'barely cut it' Bourke Street driver James Gargasoulas found guilty of six murders 'Popular and hardworking' Victorian worker dies after explosion at Yallourn Power Station قوى الأمن الداخلي: تعميم صورة مطلوب بجرم نشل، هل تعرفون عنه شيئاً؟ Man killed during riot in Ali Curung, as cars set on fire and up to 100 reported fighting Labor wants ATO to appeal to taxpayers' sense of fairness Murdered mother's last relationship, bag found at crime scene, of interest to police Ballarat police officer found guilty of assault against woman in custody, jury discharged over other counts Strawberry needle contamination: Accused woman motivated by spite, court hears Strawberry needle contamination scare: Queensland woman charged after months-long investigation Police fatally shoot man under guard at Ipswich Hospital Woman dies after minivan carrying six people rolls Motorbiker crashes, allegedly enters houses 'armed' with screwdriver Sharp objects found in South Australian strawberries Runaway, driverless train failed to respond to emergency stop attempt, interim report finds Police urge public to avoid Melbourne CBD after car fire in Bourke St Luke Foley resigns as NSW Labor Leader following ABC journalist's statement NSW Government commits $712 million to public school fund, signs up to federal deal Queensland tourism operators in uncharted waters after third Cid Harbour shark attack RBA shrugs off falling house prices, weak inflation to keep rates on hold at 1.5pc All-hours shopping to reinvigorate Sydney nightlife economy Petrol prices surge 20pc this year, but analysts say not much can be done about it Stamp duty overhaul in NSW is little comfort to current homebuyers, Opposition says Police officer seriously injured in Belmont dog attack while trying to arrest man with knife Man charged with murder after altercation in Brisbane's south 'Earn and churn' GP consultations targeted Mother and son dead, three other family members fighting for life after head-on crash at Brimin, Victoria Canberra's bushfire remains out of control, but there's no immediate danger Victorian man Pande Veleski jailed for 20 years for killing French backpacker Sydney murderer for pushing wife into burning bedroom and blocking her escape