| 02.10,15. 08:43 AM |
Goulburn prison escapee Beau Wiles arrested after highway patrol stops vehicle
A man who escaped from a work area outside the minimum security section of Goulburn Correctional Centre in New South Wales has been arrested.
Just after 5:00pm a NSW Police Traffic and Highway Patrol vehicle stopped a vehicle on Five Islands Road in Unanderra, just south of Wollongong on the NSW South Coast.
According to NSW Police, the passenger, who was identified as the 25-year-old male escapee Beau Wiles, was arrested along with two women in the vehicle.
Wiles was taken to Wollongong police station and charged with escaping lawful custody.
The women were taken to Lake Illawarra police station.
One of the women, aged 43, was released "pending further inquiries", police said.
The other, aged 32, was charged with aiding an inmate to escape from lawful custody.
Both Wiles and the woman were refused bail to appear in Port Kembla Local Court today.
Late last night, a 39-year-old man was arrested at a home at Figtree, in Wollongong's west, and also charged with aiding an inmate to escape lawful custody.
He was granted bail to appear at Port Kembla Local Court on October 28.
Corrective Services NSW said Wiles was serving an 18-month sentence for shoplifting and driving while disqualified, and was eligible for parole in July 2016.
Last month, a maximum security prisoner escaped from a segregation cell at the Goulburn jail after tying bed sheets together to climb over a prison wall.
His escape prompted Corrective Services NSW to order a review of security arrangements in the prison's maximum security section.
On Thursday, NSW Premier Mike Baird defended security measures in place at Goulburn jail and said the security review was nearly complete.
"I can assure you whatever is required to be done will be done, keeping the community safe is our number one concern," he said.
He said the latest escapees "will be caught and they will face the full consequences of their actions".
"They may think it was fun to do but ... when they are caught, and they face the consequences, it's something they wish that they never did.
"And those who might think about such actions, well they better think again."
New crackdown on inmates with mobile phones
Two days before his escape, several photos of Beau Wiles, 25, were uploaded to Facebook and a user, appearing to be his girlfriend, commented that she could not wait to see him.
The photos of Wiles were taken inside the prison, despite electronic devices being prohibited.
Corrective Services NSW (CSNSW) on Thursday announced the introduction of strengthened penalties.
Any inmate found with a mobile phone will now be immediately moved to a maximum security prison and their security classification reviewed.
A statement issued by CSNSW said "inmates will also be immediately dismissed from employment, rotated through different cells every few days, and have the power to their cells switched off where necessary.
"In addition, any offender returning to custody who was found with a mobile phone in prison within the last 12 months will also be sent straight to maximum security."
The recently announced mobile phone body scanner was also introduced to Goulburn prison on Thursday.
The scanner is capable of detecting switched off mobile phones concealed within a body cavity.