| 29.02,12. 12:40 AM |
Injured British Journalist in Lebanon after Escaping Homs Siege
British photographer Paul Conroy, who was wounded in an army bombardment in the Syrian rebel city of Homs last week, has been smuggled to Lebanon, his father Les said Tuesday.
Conroy was working for Britain's Sunday Times newspaper during the attack which claimed the lives of his colleague, reporter Marie Colvin, and French photographer Remi Ochlik.
Conroy, 47, issued a video appeal for help last week, saying he was injured and being looked after by the Free Syrian Army.
"Conroy and people accompanying him entered the Wadi Khaled region through the Hnayder border village after midnight on motorbikes," said an activist in northern Lebanon who helps smuggle wounded out of Syria.
Media reports said that French reporter Edith Bouvier, who was also injured in the same assault, is safe in Lebanon.
But the French embassy in Beirut said it was unable to confirm the reports.
"The embassy... cannot confirm the report concerning the evacuation of Edith Bouvier," a spokesman said.
French foreign ministry spokesman Bernard Valero also said: "We are more mobilized than ever to do everything possible to allow for the evacuation of the wounded, of all foreign journalists and our wounded compatriot, from Homs."
Peter Bouckaert, emergencies director at Human Rights Watch who is involved in the rescue efforts, also denied the reports.
"Reports that Edith Bouvier has made it out of Homs and is in Lebanon are FALSE," he tweeted.
A western diplomatic source in the Syrian capital said Monday that efforts to evacuate the foreign journalists from the rebel-held Baba Amr district of Homs failed.
"The evacuation of journalists did not take place but three wounded Syrians were able to leave in Syrian Red Crescent ambulances," the source told Agence France Presse.